Full CV in pdf available soon. Meanwhile, here’s my linkedin.
Worldwide, Oct 2017 - present
Note: I also traveled extensively during this period, such as extended stays at Zen Buddhist monastery.
- Expected to join School For Poetic Computation’s summer workshop in Japan (Yamaguchi, Japan, Sep 2019)
- Created a VR sound art which was selected for a group exhibition at Smithsonian’s Hirshhorn Museum (DC, Jun 2019).
- 12-week self-directed programming retreat at Recurse Center (NYC, Feb 2019 - May 2019).
- Reviewer for Google AI Impact Challenge proposals, with DataKind (Remote, Jan 2019 - Feb 2019).
- Delivered various talks:
- tech conference (keynote, Berlin, May 2019)
- (particle)astrophysics symposium (Lisbon, Mar 2018)
- international conference for government offcials (Tagaytay, Philippines, Oct 2017)
Data Science Lead, Phenomen Films
Berlin, Jun 2018 - Dec 2018 & London, Aug 2015 & Nov 2015
- (2018) In charge of recommendation engine for the digital platform for DAU: the most anticipated art experiment of the decade, described as Stalinist Truman Show, with 400+ people lived inside a fully-functioning community emulating Soviet era research institute for as long as 2.5 years. The platform involves 700+ hours of film footage, as well as audience’s psychometric score and activity history at the immersive art installation planned for Berlin, Paris and London.
- (2015) Prototyped content-based recommendation system. Identified similar subscenes ranked by cosine similarity of vectorized subscenes with 4k+ features; visualized similarity using t-SNE algorithm (Python and d3.js).
Data Scientist, Development Research Group, World Bank
Washington, DC, May 2016 - Sep 2017
I was the first data scientist at the research division, as well as the first non-PhD staff data scientist hired at the organization. As data science was brand-new in the organization, I worked on many “first”s:
- Researched utilizing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and satellite imagery for forestry coverage monitoring, urban extent measurement, and agricultural yield estimation; planned and operated UAV field work as one of few early adapters.
- Developed and led institutional collaboration with Facebook on producing high-resolution population density data. Such collaboration with private sector was unprecedented at the time, and I worked across the organization to overcome the data ownership and legal issues as well as the relevant politics.
- Advocated for institutional support in data science; closely worked with IT department for piloting cloud computing and containers for data science environment.
- Led GitHub account pilot, succeeding in getting the tool officially approved. Despite the demands for open source platform and multiple attempts in the past to accreditate GitHub, it was long explicitly against the IT policy.
- Co-chaired a conference on measurement technology for development with UC-Berkeley.
- Consulted as well as wrote research proposals for technical projects across the practices, such as in transportation, poverty household surveys, conflict and fragile states, and agriculture.
Big Data Analyst, Innovation Labs, World Bank
Washington, DC, Jun 2015 - Apr 2016
I was one of four people in WB’s first data scientist team, aiming to examine and operationalize “big data” solutions at the organization. We supported all domains related to WB practices and shared the lessons learned, working with academics and other international organizations.
- Provided technical support to big data projects across WBG operational practices such as energy, transportation, and regional strategy in fragile states, utilizing remote-sensing, transport, and news media data.
- Fostered the technically-minded community within WB through founding popular monthly seminar series in data science and organizing hands-on training on operating mapping UAV, Hadoop ecosystem, and reproducible research topics.
- Managed Cloudera Hadoop systems setup for on-premise Linux cluster.